EDUCATION ACADEMY I
Making a difference in people’s lives…
The impact a teacher can have on someone’s life is profound. Everyone has a favorite teacher–someone they admired, who taught them not just subject matter but life lessons as well.
This course is open to college bound juniors and/or seniors who have an interest in the field of education as a career. The student’s education will be site based with a mentor at one of the local schools in an elementary, junior high, or other educational setting. Students will work with their mentor to get on-the-job experience into what the education profession encompasses. According to the American Teacher Federation, Michigan ranks in the top ten for the average teacher and starting teacher salaries. Being a teacher is one career track, but check out the career ladder to discover how your career can progress into administration and beyond.
A parent/student meeting will be held in the spring and an application must be completed. Successful students in the first year will be invited to return for Education Academy II.
EDUCATION ACADEMY II
An extension of Education Academy 1
Successful students in the first year will be invited to return for Education Academy
- Students will meet once a month during related class at the BACC.
- Students will be placed with a Master Educator as a mentor during one or two class periods.
- Students will have the opportunity to take the Michigan Basic Skills Test for Teachers, which is a required test for acceptance into any college education program in Michigan.
- Students passing the Michigan Basic Skills Test for Teachers are qualified for employment as paraprofessionals.
- Students will have the opportunity to join Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA), our student youth club.
*Articulated Credit available through Kellogg Community College and Baker College